Mucormycosis is commonly known as the black fungus is a type of fungal infection caused by Mucorales fungi.
Common Sources of Mucor
- Damp Wall
Pre-disposing / Risk factors are
- immunocompromised status most recently likes in Covid 19
- Long term Steroid use
- Uncontrolled diabetes mellitus
- Organ transplant immunosuppression
Mucormycosis and Zygomycosis has been used Interchangeably.
Types of Mucormycosis
- Rhinocerebral:- Infection spread via the sinuses to the brain.
- Gastrointestinal mucormycosis
In the present day scenario patients of Covid, 19 infections admitted in hospitals given Steroids with uncontrolled sugar levels, requiring 0xygen, and already immunocompromised are getting infected with Mucormycosis. These patients are often found to have high Ferritin levels in the blood and also CRP is raised.
Signs and symptoms
- History Covid 19 infection
- Dental Pain
- Eye Pain
- crusting in nose/nose dryness
- Black lesion on the skin of nose and mouth